Friday, February 1, 2008

Always Interesting

Life, with ups and downs is always "interesting"

I know why the bible tells us to bear one another's burdens. Sometimes you have just the same experience, and coming from someone who has been through the same thing, can be a comfort in hard times. But what about when you haven't shared the same experiences? What if there are no words...or you don't have the $$ or you don't have the "magic bullet" that will soothe someone else's concern.

I recently heard a pastor preaching about worry. He came out with the statement that worry is nothing more than an arrogant prayer to oneself. And after contemplating that for a while, He was so right. Think about it...

I worry...and so I think about the situation, and those thoughts consume me. And in some cases, I plan the situation, and do the whole..."if they say this...then I'll say that...if they say that then I'll say this." I don't remember Jesus having this response when he was tempted in the Wilderness or even when he prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane. I don't want to worry about situations. I have learned that there is a level of concern, a "bearing of a brother or sister's burdens." I want to be an effective support for anyone going through a rough time, but sometimes that is all that we can do. Sometimes, God is calling someone to a deeper place, somewhere they haven't walked before. There are times in our lives where we need to walk alone, these are the hard times, but they are also the times when our faith becomes more than a family tradition. In learning to rely on the God of creation and Him alone, we learn that he is more than words on a page.

I look around and see good people, going through difficult circumstances. And I want to "DO" something! Anything that will help, but I also know that God is the only answer to some situations.

The refuge in time of trouble. Maybe a word to say....that God is enough. Let him be the refuge in your storm. When we allow God to become real, there can be peace in a storm, joy among trials, and love that never fails.

Thanks for listening!
^j^

No comments: